Friday, June 3, 2011

Vegan Chili

Good evening!!  Last night I made my vegan Chili for my husband and myself for dinner and I thought it would be awesome to share my recipe with you.  Let me start out by saying that when I used to eat meat, I found chili repulsive! Mostly because I wasn't a fan of ground beef and didn't care much for beans.  Now that I'm vegan I am crazy about beans and the first time I had veg chili was on a cruise and was pretty much my first time eating any chili ever! Now I love to make a big pot for me and my hubby and it lasts for a few meals between the two of us. The best part about this is, you only have to use one pot, how awesome is that?? (BTW, I still find Chili made with meat completely repulsive, especially when people put it on french fries and what not, blech!).

Ingredients:
1 can regular tomato sauce (the regular can size, not that giant can)
1 can petite diced tomatoes with the liquid (don't drain!)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 package vegan burger crumbles (this is optional, but my omnivore husband loves this stuff, so I use it)
1/2 to 1 full can of sweet corn (depending on how much corn you like, or you can omit it all together)

1/2 large onion, diced (yellow, white, red...whatever kind you prefer, they are all good)
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced (or more, if you prefer)
2 tsp. molasses
1 tbsp. cumin powder
1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (you can add more or omit it, depending on if you like your chili spicy or not)

First heat about a tablespoon or so of olive oil in the bottom of your stock pot on medium heat.  Once heated, add your diced onions and peppers and minced garlic.  Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions start to turn translucent. Add your burger crumbles, if using, and saute until heated, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add  all your canned goods to the stock pot.  I start with the tomato sauce and go in order to end with the corn, but it really doesn't matter.  Once you have added your canned goods, stir to incorporate. Next add molasses and all of the spices and stir again. Once all ingredients are incorporated, let the chili start to boil a bit then lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Then it's ready to eat!  Serve with a dollop of vegan sour cream on top and your favorite vegan cornbread on the side!  Yum!!!

I'm going to say this yields about 6 servings or about 4 hungry husband size servings, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment