Monday, February 21, 2011

Thriftng/Home Goods adventure!

Today I was determined to go thrifting in search of awesome platters, stands and linens for my display for Odd Duck! I was thinking of posting pictures of some stuff I found, but I kind of want it to be a secret, so I'll just tell you about what I bought from each store.

First I went to the Goodwill closest to my apartment, the one on Military and Okeechobee.  I wasn't expecting to find much because their housewares were low and pretty disorganized.  Every time I go to that one it seems like there are trying to reorganize the store. Luckily I found a floral rimmed plate that was the look I was going for.  I also found a pink stand that I'm assuming is meant to be a locker stand, but I'm going to put a plate on top of it to house sweets!  Also got another pink stand that seems like it's made for a big candle or vase, but it's getting a pretty plate put on top of it too!

Next I wanted to go to the Salvation Army, but I guess they were closed for Presidents Day, so I went onward to my next destination: the Goodwill on Dixie in West Palm Beach.  First I had to stop and browse the dresses because they always have fabulous one's there for some reason.  I did find a lot of cute dresses, but none of them were in my size.  So I went looking in the housewares and I didn't find much except for this pretty solid colored plate that was the hue of blue I was looking for.  I browsed the linens, but didn't see anything I wanted, and as I turned around I faced the toy aisle and found 3 Star Wars toys staring back at me!!  Two were some slightly used Tuscan Raiders, but the other was a never been played with Ponda Baba (barbie sized) still in the box!  The box was slightly messed up but I didn't care because I'm just going to play with him anyways.  There was a price sticker on him from Tate's which is my favorite comic/toy store! So I pretty much got him for half the price Tate's was selling him for! I think the best part is his detachable arm!  As I was checking out I saw, in the jewelry display case, one of the My Melody watches that McDonald's was giving away with Happy Meals a few months back.  It was 39 cents, so I had to buy that too!

After Goodwill I ventured to World Thrift which is on Dixie right on the border of West Palm Beach and Lake Worth.  This place was PACKED with people, I'm guessing because there was no school today.  Once again, HAD to browse the dresses, but didn't see anything I liked.  In housewares, there was a bunch of cute things but most of them I didn't really need.  I saw cute canisters in the shape of cup cakes (a whole set!!) and a Pyrex piece that reminded me of my friend Sherry.  I did buy 3 pieces there though.  One was a rectangular small platter with a cherry blossom design! (If you don't know, Cherry Blossoms are pretty much my favorite thing in the whole world!).  The other two were another floral type plate and a pink glass round dessert tray with a handle sticking up from the middle.  The dessert tray cost a little more than I was looking to spend at a thrift store, but I really loved it so I bought it anyway.

I couldn't forget to stop at Home Goods, because even though it's not a thrift store, they have amazing things for decent enough prices, so I headed west to the one in Royal Palm Beach.  This was a VERY fancy Home Goods!  If you walked through the security towers and they went off, instead of loud beeping, a recorded voice nicely asks you to come back into the store because there might be a security tag on your items.  Can you believe that!!??!!  I guess Wellington peeps don't like to be accused of stealing, haha!  Also, at the front of the line there was screen that told you (also in a recorded voice) which register was available next.  I've never seen anything like it!

But back to the shopping!  At Home goods I found 3 really amazing pieces that I absolutely love!  One was a blue multi-tiered dessert stand! I also found a blue tint glass cake stand and one more pretty flowered plate, but this one is a square shape and pretty big.  The two stands were splurges for me ($12.99 each) but I was in love with them so I bought them anyways.  I also found a pretty Cherry Blossom candle on clearance for half off!

I think I have enough housing units for my baked goods now!  I still haven't found the proper linens I would like, but I know if I keep looking I will find them.  Even if I have to go to Target or something and buy them new.  I can't wait until I put together my practice display and maybe I will take some sneak peek photos then!

2 comments:

  1. i wanna see pics! take pics take pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I will take sneaky pics! Don't want to give away the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete